DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?


Agu's association with a temple got ruined when we took him to a renowned temple when he was 2.5 years old for his "Ezhuthiniruthu" where kids are introduced to the world of knowledge. He was pretty unhappy when he was forced to take off his shirt and do I need to say about someone grabbing your hand and making you write on rice?? I really don't want to look back on how the event ended 🙆 So last time when we were in Kerala, I wanted him to get over the incident so took Agu to the temple that I usually visit, a small quiet place with a pond!


Sooraj and I are more of agnostic so we have never forced him to pray to God or haven't even touched the topic of God at our home. For me, I don't believe in a physical form of God, I don't go to temple regularly or have a deity of God at home but my day starts and ends with a few minutes of quiet time and an occasional visit to a quiet temple does give me solace.


At the temple, Agu was walking around looking at flowers, lamps, the deity and was excited about the pond while I was thinking of how to explain the concept of God to him. We really don't want him to picture God as a magician who grants all his wishes, someone whom he can blame when things go wrong or someone who has to be constantly pleased with offerings so our life would be taken care of. We are fine with him being religious at some point in his life, as long as it helps him overcome hatred with love & kindness and be a better human being.

Comments